DBS checks and home checks

Once your visa application is made, you will be contacted by your local council who will organise DBS checks and a house check. There is no need to contact the council before they contact you. 

Home safety inspection

Inspections vary by council but you may be asked to provide evidence of, or answer:

  1.    Names and ages of everybody in the house, so yourselves and the guests.
  2.    Number of bedrooms available
  3.    Are bedrooms private and self-contained (not a sofa bed in lounge)
  4.    Bathroom facilities
  5.    Open access to kitchen
  6.    If you rent, have you got landlord permission?
  7.    Type and number of pets and temperament
  8.    Smoke alarms on each floor
  9.    Fire blanket in kitchen
  10.    Windows have locks with keys that are accessible to adults not children
  11.    Carbon monoxide monitor
  12.    Child safe blind cords
  13.    Ponds, pools. paddling pools secure
  14.    Tall free-standing furniture secured to wall
  15.    Property secure – gates lockable and fences in place

From our experience with Herts and Bucks councils, these checks are not designed to catch you out. The inspectors have been very pragmatic, helpful and offers lots of useful advice.

Hosting babies and young children

Sanctuary Foundation offer a series of useful resources for those hosting Ukrainian families with babies and young children – broken down by age groups. Click here to access their page and documents with advice for 0-4 months, 4 months-2 years, and 2-4 years.

There is also a referral form at the bottom of the page that can be used to request equipment such as cots, high chairs, toddler beds, care packs, toy bundles and more.


We need your consent to load the translations

We use a third-party service to translate the website content that may collect data about your activity. Please review the details and accept the service to view the translations.