Basic to do list once arrived in the UK
Last updated: 10.05.22
- notify Herts CC of their arrival to trigger £200 grant per person (takes 48 hours to a week)
- cover letter from host for proof of current UK address
- complete immigration status
- bank account
- National Insurance number
- benefits (Universal credit, child benefit, etc)
- school application (if relevant)
- SIM card / phone / laptop / Wi-Fi access
- clothes, toiletries, etc
- food shopping
- register at GP
- key cutting
- info on local transport, bikes, and/or car insurance as relevant
- Food shopping
This list is not exhaustive and not necessarily in a prescriptive order, though the cover letter for proof of address will be required before other steps (e.g. bank account and school application) can be carried out.
Complete immigration status
The visa process BEFORE your guests arrive is only to grant them entry to the UK.
AFTER THEY ARRIVE you need to complete the visa process and finalise their immigration status to grant them three years' leave to remain.
Red Cross advice
The Red Cross has also produced useful documents for Ukrainian nationals arriving in the UK. These are available in English, Ukrainian and Russian.